Tuesday 27 January 2015

"Uh oh, now she's sewing too..."



Yep, that's right I've picked up sewing and finished my first project.

While recently researching on The Purl Bee blog for a cute baby knitting pattern I came across this super cute bonnet, but I had one problem, I'm a knitter not a sew-er. However, I just couldn't resist because I just love bonnets - I think it's the Jane Austen-ness about bonnets that draws me to them. 

To solve my problem of being only a novice on the sewing machine I did a call out on FB for some help and very kindly one of my friends stepped up. I would not have succeeded in making this bonnet without her invaluable help. Being part of my church community has blessed me with the opportunity to learn from the many experienced crafters in our midst. I have plans to join the craft group this year with hopes that I can learn more as well as get to know some of the lovely ladies at church better.

I felt so lucky when I found this piece of Liberty of London fabric in the remnants box at Tessuti. I've got enough of the remnant left over for a couple more bonnets, so that's definitely a great score.


This first time project is a little rough around the edges. I struggled to sew the seams straight particularly on the bias strips and the finishing hand sewn seam is very rudimentary but I still love how it has come together. 

When I finally convinced Miss L to put it on for me to take some photos I squealed with delight at the cuteness overload. The bonnet fits perfectly and she looks so cute with it on - though of course I may be biased.

Now that I've conquered my first sewing project I look forward to making more clothing for my kids in the future. Although I think the husband will truly soon be saying, "Uh Oh, now she's sewing too.", as he sees our home slowly being taken over by my crafting.

If you have suggestions for other easy to make sewing projects feel free to link to their patterns in a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment